Acute otitis media (AOM) is an infection of the middle ear involving the eardrum .
Symptoms of otitis in children :
The signs can be misleading, especially in children and infants. Think of acute otitis media when :
– the child touches his or her ear often
– the child cries, is irritable, has difficulty falling asleep
– has a lack of appetite
– presents digestive disorders, very misleading with diarrhea and vomiting
-presents a decrease in hearing (the child does not react to weak sounds).
The symptoms of acute otitis media in adults
– pulsating pain (rhythmic with the heartbeat) in the ear, which can radiate into the head
– a sensation of blocked ear, of reduced hearing.
– sometimes ringing in the ears or feelings of dizziness
A doctor should be consulted to confirm the diagnosis of AOM and to decide whether antibiotic treatment is appropriate.